Backboard Inc. (“Backboard,” “us,” “we,” or “our”) offers a variety of services on behalf of our business Partners (our “Partners”). We provide many of our services to you and other patrons of our Partners (“Users,” “you,” or “your”) through the Backboard website, our mobile app, and online applications provided by and on behalf of Backboard and our Partners (collectively, our “Platform”). By patronizing the businesses of our Partners, you access and use these services through our Platform.
1. Collection of Personal Information
Personal information refers to information connected to Users that may be used to identify them.
Personal information refers to information connected to Users that may be used to either directly or indirectly identify them.
Backboard collects personal information when Users voluntarily submit it to us or when Partners submit User information on their behalf. For example, we may collect or receive information from a Partner about a User when the User creates an account on our Platform, edits their profile on our Platform, uses or accesses services or content through our Platform, or otherwise interacts with us, our Partners, or other Users of the Platform.
Backboard may collect personal information about Users in the following ways:
- Account Information. We collect your name and contact information when you create an account. We also collect information relating to the actions that you perform while logged into your account. We use this information to provide account related functionalities to our users.
- Email Interconnectivity. If you receive email from us, we use certain tools to capture data related to when you open our message or click on any links or banners it contains. We use this information to understand how you interact with our communications to you.
- First Party Tracking Cookies. “Cookies” are small bits of information that the Platform may place on the hard drive of a computer. Certain cookies ensure that the Platform operates efficiently and effectively. Other cookies remember information about activities on the Platform to make future User visits to the Platform more enjoyable and valuable by customizing experiences and recognizing User preferences when they visit a Platform. If a User has chosen to disable cookies on their browser, some of the functionality of the Platform may be lost. Users can opt-out of receiving some advertising and tracking devices based upon their browsing behavior by going to the Networking Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance websites.
- Web Server Logs. Web server logs are records of activity created by the computer that delivers the webpages the User requests to their browser. For example, a web server log may record an entered search term or a clicked link. The web server log also may record information about User browsers, such as IP address and the cookies set on the browser by the server. We use this information to monitor our networks and the visitors to our websites.
- Device Information. We may collect information about the mobile device or computer used to access the Platform, including, without limitation, the hardware model, operating system and version, browser type, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information. We use this information to understand how Users interact with our Platform on different devices.
- Partner Promotions. We collect information that you provide as part of a co-branded promotion with another company. We use this information to fulfill our promotions.
Backboard may collect personal information about other third parties, including our Partners, in the following ways:
- Partner Information. We collect the name, and contact information, of our Partners and their employees. We use this information to communicate with them concerning normal business administration such as projects, services, and billing.
- Employment. If you apply for a job posting, or become an employee, we collect information necessary to process your application or retain you as an employee. We use this information to have efficient staffing and work force operations, perform our contract of employment, and, in some cases, to comply with applicable laws.
- Feedback/Support. If you provide us feedback or contact us for support we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other content that you send to us, in order to reply. We use this information to receive, and act upon your feedback or issues.
- Mailing List. If you sign up for our mailing list we collect your email address. We use this to share information about our products or services.
- Order Placement. We collect your name, billing address, shipping address, e-mail address, phone number, and credit card number when you place an order. We use this information to provide you with products or services.
Backboard retains your personal information for as long as necessary for the purpose that it was collected, unless a different amount of time is required or allowed by law. If we have collected your information on behalf of a Partner, the Partner determines how long we keep your personal information.
2. Use of Personal Information
Backboard’s primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide our Products. In addition, Backboard may use personal information for various other purposes, including without limitation to:
- Help diagnose problems with the Platform, to improve the Platform, to administer the Platform, and to enhance the
- Platform for optimal User experience.
- Identify you when you use the Platform.
- Monitor the usage and performance of the Platform, and to determine aggregate information about our Users and usage patterns.
- Customize content and services that may be of interest to our Users.
- Contact Users for information verification purposes or to fulfill User requests, including employment inquiries.
Our collection and use of your information is based, in different contexts, upon your consent, our need to perform a contract, our obligations under law, and our legitimate interest in conducting our business. When we collect information on behalf of our Partners, our Partners determine the basis for that collection and processing.
3. Sharing of Personal Information
In accordance with Privacy Shield, we take responsibility for the processing of personal information that we transfer to third parties acting as an agent on our behalf.
Marketing. We do not share User information with third parties to directly market to Users. We may market to Users on behalf of our Partners or other third parties that would like to send Users information about their products and services. For example, Backboard may offer a promotion in conjunction with a cosponsor that may have special offers or services that might be of interest to Users.
Within the Platform. Users may have the ability to share information within the Platform, either with other Users or with individuals who are not yet Users. For example, information may be shared within the Platform in the following circumstances:
- When the User invites a friend to become a Platform User,
- When the User sends a request to another User to add the other User to his or her account, or
- When we send notifications to the User relating to their use of the Platform.
Service Providers. Backboard may share User personal information with service providers that perform services for Backboard, such as providing hosting services, marketing assistance, and analyzing User data.
Sharing Without Your Consent. There may also be instances when Backboard may disclose User personal information without providing Users with a choice. This may happen if we need to protect the legal rights of Backboard, other affiliated companies or their employees, agents, and contractors; honor a request that Users have made through the Platform; protect the safety and security of other Users; protect against fraud or for risk management purposes; if required to do so by court order, subpoena, or warrant; or to comply with the law or national security requirements.
Sharing With Your Consent. We may also ask for your consent to share your personal information in other ways.
Affiliates and Acquisitions. If Backboard sells all or part of its business or makes a sale or transfer of assets or is otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, Backboard may transfer User personal information to a third party as part of that transaction.
Social Networking. The Platform may offer Users the ability to share personal information through a social networking site (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn), using such site’s integrated tools (e.g., Facebook “Like” button, or Twitter “Tweet” button). The use of such integrated tools enables Users to share personal information about themselves with other individuals or the public. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and use in connection with such social networking site or a site’s integrated tools, please visit the privacy policies of these social networking sites.
4. Access & Choice
Users can access, modify, and delete some types of personal information through their Platform account or by contacting Backboard directly. If we have collected your information on behalf of one of our Partners, we will direct your request to our Partner for fulfillment. We recommend that Users reach out directly to the Partner rather than to Backboard.
You may also contact Backboard to make a request regarding your personal information, such as asking Backboard to:
- Delete your personal information. If required by law we will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations we must keep your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for another one of our business purposes.
- Modify or change your personal information.
- Access your personal information. California residents may be entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal information (if any) we share with third parties or affiliates for direct marketing.
- Object or revoke your consent to our processing of your personal information.
As required by law, we will require you to prove your identity. We verify identity by comparing the information you provide when submitting your request with the information in our database. Depending on your request, we may ask for additional information such as the email address of your account. We may also ask you to provide a signed declaration confirming your identity.
In some circumstances, you may designate an authorized agent to submit requests to exercise certain privacy rights on your behalf. We will require verification that you provided the authorized agent permission to make a request on your behalf. You must provide us with a copy of the signed permission you have given to the authorized agent to submit the request on your behalf and verify your own identity directly with us. If you are an authorized agent submitting a request on behalf of an individual you must attach a copy of the following information to the request:
- A completed Authorized Agent Designation Form indicating that you have authorization to act on the consumer’s behalf.
- If you are a business, proof that you are registered with the Secretary of State to conduct business in California.
If we do not receive both pieces of information, the request will be denied.
Please note that although Backboard takes all requests seriously, depending on applicable law and Backboard’s legal rights, we may not be able to grant your request. Additionally, some of your personal information may be controlled by our Partners. If your request relates to personal information controlled by our Partners, we will direct you to communicate with that Partner directly. Finally, in limited cases, under applicable law Backboard is allowed to charge for certain requests.
Promotional Emails. Users who no longer wish to receive our weekly email updates or other email notifications may opt-out of receiving these communications by following the instructions contained in the applicable email.
Do-Not-Track. Some web browsers and devices permit Users to broadcast a preference that they not be “tracked” online. At this time Backboard does not modify User experience based upon whether such a signal is broadcast.
The Platform is not meant for or targeted to children and should not be used by children under 13.
Backboard employs reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect personal information. While there is no such thing as “perfect security” on the Internet, we will take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of personal information. Please keep your password and account information secure, and notify us of unauthorized use of your account.
In the event that we are required by law to inform you of a breach to your personal information we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
User privacy is important to us and we encourage you to submit all questions and complaints to Backboard directly. However, you may also have the right to complain to a government or regulatory body about our privacy practices.
8. Other Important Information
- Transfers of Your Personal Information to Other Countries. Personal information may be processed in a foreign country where privacy laws may be less stringent than the laws in your country. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to the transfer, storage and processing of your information in a country other than your country of residence including, but not necessarily limited to, the United States.
9. Data Protection Officer, Communications, and Requests
If Backboard needs to communicate with you regarding your personal information, we may do so using any method practicable, including electronically, through the platform, through postal mail, or by telephone.